
“Hallelujah, hallelujah” an elderly Chinese man approaches the prayer station gesturing a cross with his fingers, smiling to let us know that he loved Jesus. This was about the third time I’ve seen Mr Fu at Flushing. Every time I never had the courage to say anything in Chinese, but this time I asked “would you like prayer for anything.” He smiled, amazed that I spoke Mandarin. “You Chinese?” “Yes, but speak very little.” Mr Fu began to tell me how he felt God called his family here, knowing absolutely no English and having no means of income. Yet in obedience he came and the Lord provided. He showed me his benefits card and enthusiastically pointed to his groceries, thanking God for it. By the end of our conversation, I asked if I could pray for him. He had tears in his eyes as I prayed for him (in English) and to my surprise he asked if he could pray for me. I have never had someone pray for me in Chinese. A little before we departed he encouraged me, making sure I understood that even if I knew a little bit of Chinese, it was God who speaks through me.
It might sound simple but this interaction was extremely encouraging because often times when I am doing prayer stations I feel so inadequate. I’ve been so blessed with the ability to speak Chinese, but because I grew up in America, I am not as fluent. I know God wants to use me in a mighty way in Flushing, especially in a town with so many from all over the world and have never heard the Gospel (as I once was in their same position growing up in a non Christian home).
I am thankful for times like this where the Lord encourages me and look forward to someday being able to share the Gospel in Chinese.
No comments:
Post a Comment