Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Meet Charles

Me talking to Charles
Recently homeless and a full time student, Charles came to us looking for some help.  After doing the assessment, he started sharing some of his life goals and aspirations. He shared how he wanted to be Physician Assistant and enlist in the Army. Naturally since I just graduated college, we connected by talking about our academic careers. Our exchange was pretty casual, but our conversation quickly turned when he told me that he’s battled an addiction to alcoholism and had 6 years sobriety that is, until a few days ago when he became homeless. I was surprise to hear this because on the outside he looked calm, had a well put together composure and seem to have it under control. Although he did not want to go into details, I was able to refer him to some places for help. In the end, he let me pray with him. It was then he started breaking down as I prayed for God to provide for him and for freedom for his alcoholism. After that, he walked off with tears in his eyes. I tried to go after him but he was quick to say no. So I did not pursue it.

I don’t quite understand everything about this encounter, but I could only imagine the emotional struggles he’s been through those past couple of days. Maybe he was crying because of the guilt he felt for finding himself in this situation. Or maybe this was the first time he’s had to cry since it all happened. All I know is, that day he was able to release some of his pain. My prayer is that God will continue to bring people his way to show Charles that He cares. It’s hard being homeless on these streets and like Charles, you can fall a victim to the drugs and alcohol in order to numb the pain. Although he walked off, the reality is I know God brought him across our path for a reason and there are many like him that need support & to know that they are not alone in their struggles.

Thank you for reading this. I pray that this ministers to you and opens your eyes to the lost and hurting around you.

In Christ,
Amy

No comments: