Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Beautiful One & Lessons from a Drunk Man

Hi all!!

Spring is here and I am excited to report to you that we did our first Beautiful One outreach to the Strip Clubs on March 20th! I cannot begin to express the joy our team felt when we were allowed into all three of the clubs we've been praying for and individually gave the roses to the ladies. We also made home-baked cookies for the bouncers & managers and had much favor with them! I just want to thank you all for your prayers and for making this happen. I’ll write more in my next newsletter but just wanted to share this quick update, in case you haven't heard!

Flushing Prayer Station

Last Saturday morning, a drunk man approached our team screaming in Chinese and gesturing to a book.  When I asked him what was going on, he kept saying, “I had this big book, I want it, and you guys gave me one last time.” Uncertain what he was referring to, I pointed to the Gospel of Johns in Chinese and he said no, it was bigger. He was upset because he lost it and wanted another one. Something inside of him wanted a Bible, even though he never read his previous one. As conversation continued, I began asking questions about his life and family, which he would share some and then randomly scream at people passing by. I felt God urging me to sit with him and try to calm him down when he would get disruptive. I felt the patience of God to stay and just hang out with him. Throughout that time, Mr Wen shared how the mother of his child left him and he was never allowed to see his son again but then would tell me “once you get me that Bible I will tell you more” (unfortunately I didn’t have a Chinese Bible on me and promised him one for next time). He also kept apologizing as if he did something wrong against me and when I would ask why, his response was, “I don’t know, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” If only you could see the look on his face, one I've seen in too many addicts, they were feelings of shame, guilt, anger, and hopelessness, mixed with I'm a failure. Although I couldn't share much with Mr Wen (due to my limited Chinese), I felt my assignment that day was to just listen and pray. Even when our conversation ended and he walked away, Mr Wen kept finding his way back to the Prayer Station.

Mr Wen with our Team
As I reflect back on this encounter, I realized a few things… sometimes although you might not feel very “successful” in sharing, what matters is just your presence and obedience to God's leading. Mr Wen needed someone to listen and acknowledge him. What saddens me most wasn't seeing him in his drunken state, but the looks that people had as they passed him by. You could tell, he felt as worthless as they deemed him to be. It’s sad and I am guilty of this too, but we often look at things in the natural and judge pretty quickly if it’s worth our time. Meanwhile God is calling us to see people in His eyes and just sit, hang out with the one, even if it doesn't feel beneficial or convenient. He longs to use us to be His hands and feet and be His listening ear to those who are hurting, broken and poor. You see, something inside of Mr Wen knew he needed a Bible, I can’t tell you why or understand his reasoning, but deep down I think Mr Wen knows he needs something greater than himself to save him.  I look forward to my next encounter with him, not sure when or if it will ever happen but until then I’ll keep praying for him and hope that you will too.

Thank you so much for reading this update!

No comments: