Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Relief Update #2

Great day out on the streets at Far Rockaway… I love going to serve the people there. It's been quite the journey hearing people's stories of how the storm has affected them and seeing how God is helping us build relationships in the neighborhood. Last week the Lord connected us with Sylvia, who is pregnant and has a small daughter. Her house was one of the many that the water level was over 4 feet on her first floor. She related to us that she has not been able to clean her house because of her health. It was the perfect timing as we knew we had a team coming this weekend from West Virginia & Michigan to do cleanup/demo work. We connect them to her and immediately they started working to clean her house (and others in the neighborhood). It was amazing seeing them hard at work and being the “hands and feet of Jesus.”

Today I spoke with her and she thanked us continually and was so touched by how God directed her to us and how much He loves her. At one point, tears welled up in her eyes as she shared “I thought I had a close relationship with God, but this, what you guys did for me, I feel it, I feel His love for me and my family.”

Please continue to pray for her, this is just the beginning for her and many others. Though their houses might be cleaned from all the storm damaged items, there is still a lot more construction/rebuilding to restore their house back to normal. In addition to that, they are still without power & heat, so as you can imagine, these cold winter nights are brutal.
picture is her, her husband and daughter

No comments: